Category: This & That
What’s new in PDFmdx version 3.21.0:
Share pages by barcode:
There are use cases, e.g.: Rolling cards from freight forwarders, where it is not necessary to split documents with a whole page, but pages are to be split horizontally in order to create individual new documents from them. The new function “Share pages via barcode” has been implemented for this.
A barcode and a condition about the read barcode value are used as criteria. Every page is searched for barcodes. If a barcode is found with a matching condition, *,? and # can be used for substring search, so the page is split horizontally into a new document at this point. The existing document “ends” at this point. The remainder of the page is created as a new document, starting at the top of a new page, until a matching barcode is encountered again or the end of the source file is reached.
Functions – Split pages by barcode:
- The input file is searched page by page for specific barcode types with a specific value, substring wildcards (*,?,#) can be used.
- If a corresponding barcode is found on a page, the page is divided horizontally at this point. A new file is created from this position.
- The barcode value found on the pages can be used as a variable for file name / folder or metadata.
- Delete – Upper / lower edge of the input file in mm: These areas are “deleted” and not considered in the result file. e.g. letterhead and footers
- The page size of the output file is automatically based on the input file or can be set to A4 portrait format.
- In order to line up the divided blocks continuously, white areas (before and after the block) are detected and removed. (Black percentage in % as a parameter)
- To format the result file, the upper/lower margin and the distance between the blocks can be specified in mm.
Disable PDF password support:With the PDFmdx Version 3.19.0 a new function was implemented to store the PDF “Open” password in the layout as well. The dialog with the password query was displayed in the PDFmdx Editor for all protected files, even for PDF files that only have an “Admin” and no “Open” password. To prevent this, you can now generally deactivate this function using a button in the PDFmdx editor.
The QiScan Software developed by us is able to digitalize books or magazines via two high resolution NIKON or CANON digital cameras plugged to a normal PC.
Every 4 to 7 seconds two high resolution pictures of both opposite sites are taken. With the Qidenus scan-robots the page-turns is done either manuelly or also fully automated.
Qidenus – www.qidenus.com – whose scan-robots we developed this software for, is an austrian startup company which distributes it’s solutions world wide. Qidenus scan-robots are operated at many famous institutions and are used to digitalize huge amounts of partially very old and valuable books and documents.
QiScan funktions overview:
- Usage of standard hardware: PC’s as well as high resolution NIKON and CANON reflex digital cameras are the base for high-quality (book-)scanners.
- Every 4 to 7 seconds (depends on the camera, resolution and data format) 2 images (RAW, TIFF, JPEG) are taken and passed to the PC.
- The job-oriented processing is done through a SQL database
- Control of the scan-processes via integration with the SPS control of the Qidenus scan-robot
- Immediate preview of the scans in the user interface for quality check and to set the scan-area of both opposite pages
- Extensive image processing functions for reworking of the scans
- Export of the scans in the most important formats (TIFF, JPEG, PDF) also with OCR
- Background batch-processing of the jobs (conversion, image-processing, OCR, export) on the same or on remote batch-computers.
- NIKON D800 / D810
- CANON EOS 700D
- CANON EOS 5D Mark II
- CANON EOS 5D Mark III
With this project we have extensive and year-long experience in using and driving digital cameras as “color-scanners” for automated continous operations.
PDFMerge can also be called with commandline parameters. Especially interesting thereby is the possibility to run the processing “silent” without user interface. With that e.g. overall PDF’s can be produced directly without user interaction through PMT (XML) files which are created from own applications. But it is also possible to work completely without template file only through a root folder to process the whole folder structure with any contained files.
“C:\program files\MAY COMPUTER\PDFMerge\PDFMerge.exe” “C:\1.pmt” /s
c:\1.pmt = PDFMerge template file – optional also a root folder can be specified
/s = processing runs “silent” – without user interface
As first parameter the file name of the PMT or PMTX template file or the path to a folder has to be provided like in the example above. If the path to a folder is provided the folder and all contained subfolders and files get read in and processed. If a folder is used the “pdfpath” parameter should be used for defining the destination PDF file. If this parameter isn’t specified the PDF file gets created on the same level as the folder chosen for processing and with the same name and there it could be that the required rights for the creation are missing.
The following additional parameters can be used:
/pdfpath=“<output path / name of the PDF file which should be created> ” – if this is missing the definition from the template file is used
/profile=“<profile name for the processing>” – if not specified the last used profile is used
/gfi=“<PDFExport profile (=GFI) names >” name of the saved PDFExport profile or path to a GFI file
With the eDocPrintPro ZUGFeRD printer driver it is easily possible to embed a XML file with the invoice information to the via print process created PDF/A-3. To further process the XML-file at another place, it has to be extracted from the PDF container. To make this possible we offer a free commandline tool. Passing the path of the ZUGFeRD PDF file as parameter, the ZUGFeRD XML found in the PDF gets extracted and saved with the same name and path as the PDF.