new features AutoOCR Version 2.0.15:
- New functions / tabs for “Image processing”, “PDF info fields”, “PDF / A” and “PDF Compressor”
- Image Processing: The image processing functions have been significantly expanded and are available outside of the OCR engines. This allows the scans to be optimized and improved before OCR recognition in order to increase recognition accuracy and improve image quality. Image processing is also part of AutoOCR light.
Image processing functions:
- Several functions can be carried out one after the other in a predetermined order.
- The selected functions, their parameters and processing sequence are managed via profiles.
- Profile functions: New, Copy, Delete, Rename, Export to file, Import from file.
- Option to process PDF scans / pages only with image information or all PDF pages.
- Load a master page and test the image processing commands with a preview of the source and result file.
Individual functions of image processing:
- Detect and remove blank pages.
- Automatically rotate pages
- Align sides
- Invert images (black to white)
- Remove black border
- Trim the edge
- Remove impurities
- Remove perforations
- Remove lines
- Convert color / grayscale to black and white
- PDFCompressor integrated: This enables the PDF files generated by the OCR process to be optimized and compressed to a minimum. The input for OCR processing should always be the best possible scan with a correspondingly high quality and resolution (300dpi for black / white and 200-300dpi color). This is good for OCR recognition, but it creates large result files. In order to create the smallest possible PDF files in the end result after OCR processing, PDFCompressor processing can be added to the OCR process in order to reduce the resolution of the images to e.g. 150dpi decrease. Good OCR recognition can be achieved with the smallest possible output files. 150dpi offers sufficient readability, but would be too low for OCR recognition. The PDFCompressor is available as an option for AutoOCR.
- PDF information fields: The PDF information fields are now also available independently of the PDF/A function in a separate tab in all AutoOCR variants.
- PDF2PDFA Konvertercomponent integrated: This means that all functions of the PDF2PDFA converter component are available in AutoOCR.
- Archive folder configuration: New variables for date and time are available for the archive folder configuration.
AutoOCR-CS-FM is a folder monitoring add-on application available free of charge for the AutoOCR server. AutoOCR-CS-FM enables the conversion of image PDF, TIF/TIFF, JPG/JPEG, PNG, BMP, GIF files into searchable PDF or PDF/A files. Input folders (several possible) or entire folder structures are monitored, newly added files are recognized, processed and stored in a configured output folder. The communication with the AutoOCR takes place via http/https via the AutoOCR web service interface. The AutoOCR server can be addressed locally, in the same network or via an Internet connection.
- Free Folder-Monitoring application for AutoOCR to generate searchable PDF(/A) via OCR from image PDF, TIF/TIFF, JPG/JPEG, PNG, BMP, GIF.
- MS-Windows service.
- Processing takes place via SOAP web service on a (remote) AutoOCR server via http/https.
- Monitors entire folders / folder structures (several possible), newly added files are recognized, processed and stored in the output folder as searchable PDF or PDF/A.
- Control of the processing parameters by selecting an OCR profile stored on the AutoOCR server.
- Parallel multiple upload/download to the AutoOCR server configurable for optimal throughput.
AutoOCR is now also available as a CL command line version. This can be used to convert PDF image and other image files (TIFF, JPEG, PNG, BMP, GIF) or entire folders and folder structures into searchable PDF via a command line call. In addition, there is the option to create PDF/A files via the integration of our PDF2PDFA converter component as well as to generate the smalles possible and highly compressed PDF via the PDFCompressor component. The PDF/A and PDFCompressor functions can be additionally activated via license options. In addition to the standard iOCR engine, the OmniPage OCR Engine is optionally available on the client operating systems Windows 7/10, which is already included in the setup.
- Command line OCR application
- Converts PDF image, TIFF, JPEG, PNG, BMP, GIF files into searchable PDF(/A)
- Processes – single files, folders, folder structures or file/folder lists from TXT files
- User interface to create and manage OCR processing / settings profiles
- Standard – iOCR engine or optional on Client operating systems – OmniPage OCR.
- Optional – PDF2PDFA converter to create PDF/A-1, 2, 3 files
- Optional – PDFCompressor to create small and highly compressed PDF
AutoOCR-CS-CL is a command line add-on application available free of charge for the AutoOCR server. AutoOCR-CS-CL enables the conversion of image PDF, TIF/TIFF, JPG/JPEG, PNG, BMP, GIF files into searchable PDF or PDF/A files. Communication with the AutoOCR server is done with http/https via the AutoOCR SOAP web service interface. The AutoOCR server can be addressed locally, in the same network or via an Internet connection.
- Free command line application for AutoOCR to generate searchable PDF(/A) via OCR from Image-PDF, TIF/TIFF, JPG/JPEG, PNG, BMP, GIF.
- Processing takes place via SOAP web service on a (remote) AutoOCR server via http/https.
- Processes individual files, entire folders / folder structures as well as lists of files / folders from TXT files.
- Selection of the processing parameters by specifying an OCR profile stored on the AutoOCR server.
- Parallel multiple upload / download to AutoOCR server configurable for optimal throughput.
Benefits of OmniPage OCR:
- Recognition accuracy at the highest level, even for difficult documents
- Fastest OCR processing – much faster and more powerful than anything we’ve tested and implemented so far. 1-2 seconds to create a searchable PDF per page are possible.
- Affordable – 25,000 pages license with lower licensing costs than the previous 10,000-page Abbyy license
- Easier activation of the (demo) license – The OmniPage OCR engine can be activated via our license server including a 30-day demo version together with the basic application.
Please note that for licensing reasons the OmniPage OCR Engine can only be installed on client operating systems – Windows 7/10 but not on Microsoft Server 2008, 2012, 2016 or 2019. The setup can only be performed on Windows 7/10. In terms of performance and stability, this is not a disadvantage. OCR processes are performance-intensive and should be executed on an own hardware (eg Intel NUC) with as many CPU cores and SSD disk as possible for optimal throughput.
The OmniPage OCR engine can be activated and is included in AutoOCR setup for AutoOCR or AutoOCRLight from version 2.0.7 as an option in addition to IOCR (Tesseract OCR). For AutoOCRLight, the OmniPage OCR can be separately downloaded and installed.
Innovations AutoOCR / AutoOCR light Version 2.0:
- The iOCR Standard OCR component of AutoOCR / AutoOCR light is now based on the new Tesseract OCR Version 4.0.
- Multiple languages can be selected for OCR recognition.
- Additional option to select OCR accuracy / speed.
- Configurable parameter for splitting documents into smaller single documents to handle large page number documents with small / limited memory resources.
- Conditional OCR processing – via file format, page number, page format – width / height in mm or pixels, resolution, file size and color depth – configurable for folder monitoring and web service processing. This can be controlled by file format per criteria – whether an OCR processing or conversion to a PDF image or whether the OCR processing of such files should be blocked. This can be prevented that the OCR processing is blocked by “meaningless” processing. for example if large JPEG photos get into the OCR processing process and handwriting recognition makes no sense.
Further information on the AutoOCR / AutoOCR light – iOCR extensions can be found here >>>
Download – AutoOCRLight – Low Cost OCR Server (ca. 410MB) >>>
For the update of the AutoOCR light version 1.x to 2.x a new license is required.
An application to monitor folders. For example AutoOCR / AutoOCRlight and so on, there are options that determine how the files are recognized for processing from the folders and when their processing is started.
An operating system function is used to detect changes to files as well as new files in a folder / folder structure and to start processing immediately. This option should only be used for local folder / folder structures, but not for processing network shares.
The folder is read in “block by block”. That It always blocks in the set maximum number of files are read in and processed. After processing a “block” the next “block” starts etc. until all files have been processed. If no further files are found then the folder will be every 10msec. asked for new files. The “blockwise processing” should be used for folder monitoring of network drives.
Start of processing / delayed Start:
The processing of a newly detected file usually starts immediately, but there may also be reasons to delay the processing. For each watched folder, there is a setting to delay the start of processing by x seconds. First, the set time is waited in seconds and then processing is started – see also >>> – After the delay, the files to be processed are checked whether they are already free and not read-only. Here again max. 10sec. waited for the release of the file.
With AutoOCR version 1.17.2 there is an option to delete empty pages before OCR processing. The detection of a page as a “Blank” via a set threshold. The default value is 1%. A page is recognized as “empty” if less than 1% of the pixels of a page are “not white”. This value must be adjusted if necessary to be processed scans, as it may be when scanning with impurities also that a blank page having “more pixels”, and certain pages are then not detected as empty. However, if the threshold is set too high, it may be that pages with little content are also recognized as empty and thus deleted.