Previously, for the HTTPS / SSL communication between the FCpro server and the clients for the REST / SOAP web service, an internal self-created SSL certificate installed via the FCpro setup was used. However, if company-specific security standards require a specific public SSL certificate, this is possible from FCpro version 1.0.76.
Apple has implemented the new HEIC – High Efficiency Image Compression – Image data format instead of JPEG with iOS version 11. The photo format is called HEIF and stands for High Efficiency Image Format. Apple wants to enforce this format as an alternative to JPEG the outdated quasi standard.
The HEIF format was developed by the Motion Picture Experts Group (MPEG) and licensed under the protection of patents. MPEG has already developed and standardized several other audio and video compression techniques in the past. Well-known examples are MPEG-2, MP3, H.264 and HEVC (H.265).
HEIF is supported since September 2017 by Apple from iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra, but not all Apple devices – currently this is the iPhone 7 & 7 Plus, iPhone 8 & 8 Plus, and the new iPhone X. Google has in March 2018 Announced HEIF Support for Android P Microsoft also supports this new file format with Windows 10 Build 17123. For older versions of Windows there is no direct support from Microsoft. However, there is the possibility to install the additional application CopyTrans HEIC for Windows in order to also be able to display and convert HEIC / HEIF files on older Windows versions.
With the FileConverterPro version 1.0.73 it is now also possible to process HEIC image files and convert them to PDF or PDF / A. HEIC files can be processed individually or via container formats (EML, MSG, ZIP ….).
CSV (Comma Separated Values) files can also be converted to PDF or PDF/A using FileConverterPro. Either as individual files or as email attachments or files in container files (ZIP, 7ZIP ….).
- The CSV extension must be defined as “alias” for the XLS extension.
- The conversion can be done either “directly” or via “MS Office” / “MS Excel”. It should be noted that in the direct conversion for the CSV file a “,” (comma) or in the “MS Office / MS Excel” a “;” (Semicolon) must be used as a separator. If a different delimiter is used then the CSV file is not processed like an XLS but like a normal text file and no columns are generated. However, this only applies to MS Office / operating system in German. If MS-Office and the operating system are used in English then “,” and not “;” as CSV separator.
To convert MS Office formats (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio …) to PDF / A, the FCPro provides either “direct” conversion or conversion based on a MS Office version installed on the FCpro computer.
We recommend using PDF/A as the output format, either the “direct” or the conversion via MS-Office 2013/2016 in the 32 or 64bit version. We have found in test that certain MS Word documents can not be converted to valid PDF/A documents via MS-Office 2010.
SmartTransformer is an integration of FileConverterPro (FCpro) with Alfresco ECM / DMS. The SmartTransformer consists of an Alfresco extension, an own, lean server that knows the context of the Alfresco documents and handles the processing and updating as well as the FileConverterPro.
High-quality previews and better alfresco performance:
Why does viewing previews affect Alfresco performance? Alfresco automatically generates document thumbnails and previews from Office documents. This mechanism leads to complaints among the users, especially in larger environments. On the other hand, Alfresco becomes unstable and slow because it is busy with conversions or even waiting for stuck conversion jobs. On the other hand, the users are dissatisfied with the quality of the previews – the presentation mostly does not correspond to the one in MS-Office or its expression.
The Smart Transformer tackles the problem at its roots and store any office conversion to an independent, robust and scalable transformation of service that converts Office documents with MS Office libraries. The previews are as if the user had saved the document in Microsoft Office as PDF.
There is avoidance of multiple conversions, through intelligent caching in the SmartTransformer. In the same process, it is also a real relief to the Alfresco server (repository) by outsourcing all transformation tasks (text extraction, preview, thumbnail generation) to a standalone service / server. No CPU is loaded on the Alfresco server. Thus it is reliable and robust: conversion jobs are managed by the SmartTransformer of a database.
The SmartTransformer solves bottlenecks in the Alfresco architecture:
- Transformation tasks that can be performed by FCPro are simulated in Alfresco by placeholder documents and are instead entered as a “job” in a persistent job queue and transferred to the FCPro. As soon as FCPro has completed the transformation, the placeholder is replaced by the real transformation. From the point of view of Alfresco no load is created by the transformation since the result is immediately returned by the placeholder. The job queue also reboots and possible problem documents can be easily identified. In the Alfresco standard, transformations are implemented by Java threads, which can lead to scaling problems on a regular basis.
- Multiple transformations of the same binary object as the Alfresco Transformer are avoided because they are recognized by the SmartTransformer. In the same way, jobs are automatically deleted during fast updates on an Alfresco document, if they have not yet started, or the jobs are replaced by new ones.
- Unlike the Alfresco standard implementation, the transformation is already proactive when creating or modifying a document, not just when Alfresco Share is accessed. In this case, identically configurable sets are created with only one transformation (thumbnail, preview, gallery-view, …) so that the Office document has to be opened only once.
The SmartTransformer was developed by our Alfresco development partner ECM4u.
Inquiries about the product can be directed directly to:
t: +49 (711) 912775-72
m: +49 (176) 347475-72
f: +49 (711) 912775-80
Innovations FCpro Version 1.0.63:
- The conversion to PDF/A has been improved and completely re-implemented.
- If a document can not be converted directly to PDF/A in the first step, there is also the possibility to render the document and create an image of the pages. The text is read from the source page and re-inserted into the target document without further OCR operation. This makes it possible to create a valid PDF/A document from documents which are normally not convertible to PDF/A. This corresponds to the original with regard to its visual appearance, but also contains the text for the search. Normally, such documents would have to be printed and re-scanned.
- The software is now able to find out on which page an uncorrectable error occurs during PDF/A conversion. Thus, only those pages are “rendered” where a conversion error occurs and not the entire document.
- If the PDF/A output is selected, the “rendering” is now activated by default with 200dpi.
Innovations FCpro Version 1.0.59:
- PDF Conversion of OpenOffice formats by integration of LibreOffice – As an alternative to converting the OpenOffice document formats via the “direct” conversion, there is now also the possibility to achieve the best compatibility and quality in the PDF conversion of these formats by using the original LibreOffice application.
If enough CPUs and cores are available, it is also possible to run several LibreOffice instances in parallel so that the conversion throughput is easily multiplied.
- Important: Before performing this configuration – Stop the FileConverterPro service!
- Download the LibreOffice Portable version.
- Create a root folder for all LibreOffice instances – eg.: C:\LibreOfficePortableRoot
- Install the first instance in a folder under it – eg.: C:\LibreOficePortableRoot\LibreOfficePortable1
- Change the INI file to C:\LibreOficePortableRoot\LibreOfficePortable1\App\AppInfo\Launcher\LibreOfficePortable.ini and insert the SingleAppInstance = false line in the first section.
- Copy the complete contents of the LibreOfficePortable1 folder and create the desired number of LibreOffice instances, eg:
Depending on how many instances are present here, they are used for parallel processing. So create here so many instances as you want to have or how many of the computers can tolerate. It makes little sense to create more instances here than the computer has available to CPU / Core resources since each process requires a CPU / core for processing.
- In the FileConverterPro configuration interface, you will find a field under “Options” to specify the start folder for the LibreOffice instances. Enter the following value according to our example: C:\LibreOficePortableRoot
- In the FCpro processing profiles under the “ODF” tab, you can now select LibreOffice to convert the OpenOffice document formats.
- Restart the FileConverterPro service.
The iOCR / vsOCR setup containing the language and dictionary files of our standard OCR engine is more than 270MB in size. In order to make the downloads and the setups smaller, we decided to split the iOCR / vsOCR into a “base” and an “additional setup”. The basic setup, which is available through our applications, eg. AutoOCR, FileConverterPro, or PDFmdx now only contains a selection of major European languages and has been reduced to 127MB.
If all available languages are to be installed, this is possible at any time. The additionally available “exotic languages” can be installed via a separate setup.
Danish, German, English, Finnish, French, Italian, Catalan, New Greek, Dutch, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Swedish, Slovakian, Slovenian, Spanish, Czech, Turkish, Ukrainian, Hungarian
iOCR extende languages:
Afrikaanis, Albanian, Arabic, Azerbaijani, Bahasa Indonesian, Bengali, Bulgarian, Cherokee, Chinese – Traditional, Chinese – Simplified, Estonian, Franconian, Gallic, Hebrew, Hindi, Icelandic, Japanese, Korean, Croatian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Malay , Serbian, Swahili, Tagalog, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Vietnamese, Belarusian
With the FCpro installation from version 1.0.54, changed installation requirements are checked – if these are fulfilled, these installation steps are skipped by the setup and are not executed.
The following components are tested and, if necessary, subsequently installed:
- C++ 2010 Runtime 64bit – new Version
- C++ 2010 Runtime 32bit – additionally required
- iOCR – Is now installed as vsOCR to C: \ Program Files (x86) \ Common Files \ MAYComputer \ vsOcr
- GhostScript 9.18.1
If these components already exist, they are not reloaded and only FCpro is installed. If all or individual components are not available or not in the appropriate version, the FCpro Setup tries to load them from our FTP server and install them. That is, If an installation should be made without an Internet connection, the setups of these components should be downloaded beforehand and installed in this order.
The FCpro settings and the license remain unchanged / update to the new version.