new features AutoOCR Version 2.0.15:
- New functions / tabs for “Image processing”, “PDF info fields”, “PDF / A” and “PDF Compressor”
- Image Processing: The image processing functions have been significantly expanded and are available outside of the OCR engines. This allows the scans to be optimized and improved before OCR recognition in order to increase recognition accuracy and improve image quality. Image processing is also part of AutoOCR light.
Image processing functions:
- Several functions can be carried out one after the other in a predetermined order.
- The selected functions, their parameters and processing sequence are managed via profiles.
- Profile functions: New, Copy, Delete, Rename, Export to file, Import from file.
- Option to process PDF scans / pages only with image information or all PDF pages.
- Load a master page and test the image processing commands with a preview of the source and result file.
Individual functions of image processing:
- Detect and remove blank pages.
- Automatically rotate pages
- Align sides
- Invert images (black to white)
- Remove black border
- Trim the edge
- Remove impurities
- Remove perforations
- Remove lines
- Convert color / grayscale to black and white
- PDFCompressor integrated: This enables the PDF files generated by the OCR process to be optimized and compressed to a minimum. The input for OCR processing should always be the best possible scan with a correspondingly high quality and resolution (300dpi for black / white and 200-300dpi color). This is good for OCR recognition, but it creates large result files. In order to create the smallest possible PDF files in the end result after OCR processing, PDFCompressor processing can be added to the OCR process in order to reduce the resolution of the images to e.g. 150dpi decrease. Good OCR recognition can be achieved with the smallest possible output files. 150dpi offers sufficient readability, but would be too low for OCR recognition. The PDFCompressor is available as an option for AutoOCR.
- PDF information fields: The PDF information fields are now also available independently of the PDF/A function in a separate tab in all AutoOCR variants.
- PDF2PDFA Konvertercomponent integrated: This means that all functions of the PDF2PDFA converter component are available in AutoOCR.
- Archive folder configuration: New variables for date and time are available for the archive folder configuration.
Benefits of OmniPage OCR:
- Recognition accuracy at the highest level, even for difficult documents
- Fastest OCR processing – much faster and more powerful than anything we’ve tested and implemented so far. 1-2 seconds to create a searchable PDF per page are possible.
- Affordable – 25,000 pages license with lower licensing costs than the previous 10,000-page Abbyy license
- Easier activation of the (demo) license – The OmniPage OCR engine can be activated via our license server including a 30-day demo version together with the basic application.
Please note that for licensing reasons the OmniPage OCR Engine can only be installed on client operating systems – Windows 7/10 but not on Microsoft Server 2008, 2012, 2016 or 2019. The setup can only be performed on Windows 7/10. In terms of performance and stability, this is not a disadvantage. OCR processes are performance-intensive and should be executed on an own hardware (eg Intel NUC) with as many CPU cores and SSD disk as possible for optimal throughput.
The OmniPage OCR engine can be activated and is included in AutoOCR setup for AutoOCR or AutoOCRLight from version 2.0.7 as an option in addition to IOCR (Tesseract OCR). For AutoOCRLight, the OmniPage OCR can be separately downloaded and installed.
Innovations AutoOCR / AutoOCR light Version 2.0:
- The iOCR Standard OCR component of AutoOCR / AutoOCR light is now based on the new Tesseract OCR Version 4.0.
- Multiple languages can be selected for OCR recognition.
- Additional option to select OCR accuracy / speed.
- Configurable parameter for splitting documents into smaller single documents to handle large page number documents with small / limited memory resources.
- Conditional OCR processing – via file format, page number, page format – width / height in mm or pixels, resolution, file size and color depth – configurable for folder monitoring and web service processing. This can be controlled by file format per criteria – whether an OCR processing or conversion to a PDF image or whether the OCR processing of such files should be blocked. This can be prevented that the OCR processing is blocked by “meaningless” processing. for example if large JPEG photos get into the OCR processing process and handwriting recognition makes no sense.
Further information on the AutoOCR / AutoOCR light – iOCR extensions can be found here >>>
Download – AutoOCRLight – Low Cost OCR Server (ca. 410MB) >>>
For the update of the AutoOCR light version 1.x to 2.x a new license is required.
An application to monitor folders. For example AutoOCR / AutoOCRlight and so on, there are options that determine how the files are recognized for processing from the folders and when their processing is started.
An operating system function is used to detect changes to files as well as new files in a folder / folder structure and to start processing immediately. This option should only be used for local folder / folder structures, but not for processing network shares.
The folder is read in “block by block”. That It always blocks in the set maximum number of files are read in and processed. After processing a “block” the next “block” starts etc. until all files have been processed. If no further files are found then the folder will be every 10msec. asked for new files. The “blockwise processing” should be used for folder monitoring of network drives.
Start of processing / delayed Start:
The processing of a newly detected file usually starts immediately, but there may also be reasons to delay the processing. For each watched folder, there is a setting to delay the start of processing by x seconds. First, the set time is waited in seconds and then processing is started – see also >>> – After the delay, the files to be processed are checked whether they are already free and not read-only. Here again max. 10sec. waited for the release of the file.
Since AutoOCR and AutoOCRLight are based on the same basis, AutoOCRLight version 1.17.2 is now also available together with the AutoOCR version 1.17.2. The “Light” version differs from the AutoOCR full version due to the following limitations:
- Only one folder can be monitored
- Only the iOCS / vsOCR and not the Abbyy OCR can be used
- No PDF/A output is possible
- The Light version has no web service (REST / SOAP) interface
All other functions are the same as the standard AutoOCR Server
The iOCR / vsOCR setup containing the language and dictionary files of our standard OCR engine is more than 270MB in size. In order to make the downloads and the setups smaller, we decided to split the iOCR / vsOCR into a “base” and an “additional setup”. The basic setup, which is available through our applications, eg. AutoOCR, FileConverterPro, or PDFmdx now only contains a selection of major European languages and has been reduced to 127MB.
If all available languages are to be installed, this is possible at any time. The additionally available “exotic languages” can be installed via a separate setup.
Danish, German, English, Finnish, French, Italian, Catalan, New Greek, Dutch, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Swedish, Slovakian, Slovenian, Spanish, Czech, Turkish, Ukrainian, Hungarian
iOCR extende languages:
Afrikaanis, Albanian, Arabic, Azerbaijani, Bahasa Indonesian, Bengali, Bulgarian, Cherokee, Chinese – Traditional, Chinese – Simplified, Estonian, Franconian, Gallic, Hebrew, Hindi, Icelandic, Japanese, Korean, Croatian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Malay , Serbian, Swahili, Tagalog, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Vietnamese, Belarusian
With the AutoOCR installation from version 1.15.3, modified installation prerequisites are checked – if these are fulfilled, these installation steps are skipped by the setup and are not executed.
The following components are checked and, if necessary, post-installed:
- C++ 2010 Runtime 64bit
- C++ 2010 Runtime 32bit
- iOCR – Is now installed as vsOCR to C: \ Program Files (x86) \ Common Files \ MAYComputer \ vsOcr – (~270MB)
If these components are already installed, they are not reloaded and only AutoOCR is installed. If all or individual components are not available or not in the appropriate version, the AutoOCR Setup tries to download them from our FTP server and install them. If an installation is to be made without an Internet connection, the setups of these components should be downloaded and installed beforehand.
The AutoOCR settings and the license are retained when uninstalling / updating the new version.
AutoOCR can be operated with one or more different OCR engines. The iOCR (vsOCR) processing is standard.
In addition, or even only, the Abbyy OCR for AutoOCR can be used as an option. However, an additional Abbyy setup must be downloaded and installed. For the Abbyy OCR Engine version 10 demo licenses are available for 30 days or 500 pages – which you can request from us.
If only the Abbyy OCR engine is to be used, the download and installation of iOCR can be skipped during setup.
Innovations AutoOCRLight Version 1.15.3:
- Update to the latest state / same level as AutoOCR Version 1.15.2
- New iOCR Engine – vsOCR
- Significant increase in processing performance thanks to multithreading and multicore CPU Support of the new vsOCR engine in the processing of multi-page TIFF and PDF documents.
Differences and highlights between AutoOCR and AutoOCRLight can be found here >>>